Greenville Technical Charter High School
Course Syllabus 2020-2021
English IV emphasizes effective writing and critical reading through logical organization, literary analysis, textual evidence, and research. English IV reading content primarily focuses on the chronological study of British literature and its cultural and historical influences.
All texts for reading assignments will be posted on Google Classroom.
- Access to Google Classroom for assignments to be handed in;
- Access to Zoom for class meetings;
- Flash drive for saving work (if needed).
- Office Hours:
- Mondays via email 11:00 am – 1:pm
- Thursdays via email 11:00 am – 1:pm
- Fridays live on Zoom 8:00 am – 9:15 am
- If you miss a synchronous class, you have five (5) school days (not class meetings) after your return to make up missed work. No make-up work will be accepted after this time.
- You will receive an invitation to join Google Classroom. Check your email and join with your school email as soon as possible. Be sure to include a valid email for your parent/guardian.
- Assignments are due at the assigned time; ten (10) points per day late will be deducted for major assignments. Late homework will receive half credit if the assignment is turned in the next school day.
GTCHS Remote Learning Routines
- Provide your full name when joining a Zoom meeting.
- Activate mute when you are not speaking.
- Your video must remain on during synchronous instruction.
- Restroom breaks are for emergencies only and should not happen often.
- Absolutely no phones or other electronic devices are to be used during synchronous instruction.
- There should be no eating or drinking during synchronous instruction.
- Student attire should not distract others from learning.
- Find a stable location for synchronous instruction (your background should not be distracting).
- Sit up and pay attention.
- Treat everyone with respect.
Major assignments (papers, projects, presentations): 30%
Minor assignments (short essays): 30%
Daily work (reading assignments, questions, quizzes): 40%
General Course Overview (subject to change):
- Grammar/writing lessons as needed
- Reading assignments
- Writing assignments
- Reading log
- Focused writing/research/project days
First Quarter: The Anglo-Saxon Period
- Primary text: Beowulf
- Grendel (summer reading assignment)
- Socratic seminar (date and requirements to be announced)
- Anglo-Saxon poetry, riddles
The Middle Ages
- Primary text: The Prologue to The Canterbury Tales
- The Canterbury Tales Pilgrim Project
- “The Wife of Bath’s Tale”
- Irony in “The Pardoner’s Tale”
- Arthurian Legend, Archetypal Romance Tales
Second Quarter: The English Renaissance
- Primary text: Macbeth
- Poetry of the English Renaissance
- Renaissance Poetry research project
Third Quarter: The Restoration, Satire
- Primary text: “A Modest Proposal”
- Satire project
- Pope’s Heroic Couplets, antithesis
The Romantic Poets
- Byron, Shelley, Keats, Coleridge, Wordsworth
Fourth Quarter: The Victorian Era, British Imperialism
- Rudyard Kipling’s “The Mark of the Beast”
The Modern Era, British Imperialism
- George Orwell’s “Shooting an Elephant”
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask me. I’m looking forward to a great year. Thanks!