ASCA National Standards for academic development guide school counseling programs to implement strategies and activities to support and maximize each student's ability to learn.
ASCA National Academic Standards
- Students will acquire the attitudes, knowledge, and skills that contribute to effective learning in school and across the life span.
- Students will complete school with the academic preparation essential to choose from a wide range of substantial post-secondary options, including college.
- Students will understand the relationship of academics to the world of work and to life at home and in the community.
ASCA National Standards for career development guide school counseling programs to provide the foundation for the acquisition of skills, attitudes, and knowledge that enable students to make a successful transition from school to the world of work, and from job to job across the life span.
ASCA National Career Development Standards
- Students will acquire the skills to investigate the world of work in relation to knowledge of self and to make informed career decisions.
- Students will employ strategies to achieve future career goals with success and satisfaction.
- Students will understand the relationship between personal qualities, education, training, and the world of work.
ASCA National Standards for personal/ social development guide school counseling programs to provide the foundation for personal and social growth as students progress through school and into adulthood.
ASCA National Personal/Social Development Standards
- Students will acquire the knowledge, attitudes, and interpersonal skills to help them understand and respect self and others.
- Students will make decisions, set goals, and take necessary action to achieve goals.
- Students will understand safety and survival skills.